Note: This Catisfield History site has been compiled by Doug Glading.
This page converted from a Word document
Doug Glading. Last update 9/11/2020
Roads Around Catisfield - and - their Evolution (v1)
At one time All the Traffic East and West. Went Through Catisfield.
· Imagine: all the traffic of the M27 plus Rail plus A27
Nov 2020 – the ‘slalom’ on the (temporarily?) blocked Fishers Hill
The way from Fareham, Gosport and Portsmouth to and from Burlesdon, Bitterne, Woolston and Southampton -- from a 1791 Map by Milne.
The route from Fareham came past Blackbrook, over ‘Catisfield Common’ and bore slightly right at the Peak Lane junction (by Heathfield Manor – today’s ‘Oast & Squire’) onto Catisfield Road
Then into Catisfield, down Fishers Hill, left at the Abbey, past Titchfield Mill and into the village with a right turn by The Wheatsheaf.
The monks built a bridge during the 14th century, which was probably made of stone piers and a wooden parapet (called Kettelbridge?).
Later a Bridge called Stony Bridge, (also Stoney Bridge, also Anjou Bridge) was built c. 1610 – today’s bridge still.
And Did Those Feet….
Pepys -- April 1662 -- Samuel Pepys went from Portsmouth to Southampton and back (so probably traversed Fishers Hill)
Bill Shakespeare – c. 1592 - As a tutor at Place House (Titchfield Abbey) the playwright must have walked around pondering his plots
Henry VI – in 1445 Henry VI & Margaret of Anjou are said to have gone down Fishers Hill, to Titchfield Abbey from Southwick, for reconfirmation there of their marriage in France
So although the bridge is known as ‘Anjou Bridge’ (even ‘Iron Duke Bridge’ !!) - this crossing was way before the current bridge was actually was built…..
[Of course Pepys was on a horse or maybe in a coach, and Henry in a posh carriage. ]
1811 - On first of June the direct road from Heathfield /Peak Lane junction into Titchfield is said to have been opened.
The main road route as we know it today, from Peak Lane to Titchfield and on towards Southampton, was not fully constructed until about 1826.
The road down from the Catisfield Lane / Ranvilles Lane junction into Titchfield was also known as 'Catisfield Hill'. It went straight down into Titchfield, entering past the tanneries and the Wheatsheaf.
[The Titchfield and Cosham Turnpike Trust Act was published in 1810 for a distance of 7miles 2 furlings and 180 yards, with Toll Houses at Blackbrook, East Cams and Wymering. Opened in 1826. The act also enclosed Catisfield Common.]
[note: Catisfield Lane has appeared on some OS maps as just Catisfield Road ]
(strictly speaking ‘The Titchfield Northern Bypass)
This forked right off the old road just west of the Catisfield Lane / Ranvilles Lane junction (ie just belpw 'The Mount' on the map), and ran down the hill and past Titchfield Mill
In 1967 the exit of Catisfield Lane onto The Avenue (A27) was closed. And Highlands Road extended south from its previous end, by Catisfield Cottage, onto the Avenue
Traffic from Stubbington towards Titchfield and the west previously all went through Titchfield Village.
The Eastern Bypass and the Gyratory where it (the B3334) joined the A27 were built in the 1980’s.
Crossing a Scheduled Monument
The hourly buses with careful drivers…
00000000000000000000 end 00000000000000000000
Comments, queries and messages to:
Pages on Catisfield originally 'on the web' January 1996
Most recent revision:26/1/2021 -- © Doug Glading ..... 1996-2021